miércoles, 15 de abril de 2009

John Paul II, Russia’s friend



When I look in the oratory of my house the Icon of Our Lady of Kazan, I remember John Paul II, who had the most ancient and venerable copy of this icon in his room for many years and couldn’t bring it personally tо Russia. I remember him and I am sure that even if he didn’t visit Russia while he was alive he will take good care of it from heaven.I admire John Paul II for making things clear to me: for many years I have read many things about him, especially when I worked on my doctoral tesis about him (can you finish doctoral tesis in heaven?). My admiration for him also continued when I dedicated my time to publish his work about matrimony in Spanish.


Later the day before coming to Russia I asked for his blessing after the celebration of a mass in the pontifical apartment. I dared to ask for his blessing to come to Russia, and asked him to continue helping us when he got to heaven. He gave me his blessing and didn’t say anything about heaven.
It was November 28 2002. A few months before John Paul II had finished his work in favor of Russia and had created four catholic dioceses. Many years before that especially by consecration of the world to the Virgin of Fatima, but also with his continues worries for Russia, he contributed personally to the end of communism. Gorvachov's visit to the Vatican was a momentous change. Gromiko's visit some years ago had been also important: it meant the end of the Ostpolitik. Russia owes a lot to John Paul.


But apart of the Consecration, the most important thing he did for us was the creation of four Russian Catholic dioceses. The Russians will be eternally gratified for this. It seems that by creating them he could have been more polite. Maybe because of this there were reactions within the people (some priests and one bishop were expulsed from Russia). But the most important is what remains:


1. The Catholics from Russia are normal Catholics, with normal bishops in normal dioceses.
2. The Catholics from Russia leave in particular churches in union with Rome. We are the church. We have all the means of salvation, we are local churches, like the ones founded by the apostles, like the ones founded by Paul.
3. The Russian Catholics have an asegurated future within the Catholic Church: the dioceses are created and once created cant be “discreated”. This is a sign of hope and security in our future.


I have two pieces of of John Paul II's cassock saved. Who were given to me by Cardinal Dziwisz. Tomorrow in the anniversary of death of the pope who has loved Russia the most, I will kiss you with a lot of devotion and ask the Lord that John Paul II will be beatified soon and that I can expose the two pieces of cassock in my parish so the Russians can venerate them.
 

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario